Friday 10 April 2015

Louis van Gaal 'dreaming' of first Manchester derby victory

Louis Van Gaal 'dreaming' of first Manchester derby victory

Tags:
Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal says he has been dreaming of claiming his maiden Manchester derby victory this weekend.
City head to Old Trafford on Sunday having inflicted defeat on the Dutchman in his opening derby meeting, a 1-0 win in November, and the showdown offers more than just bragging rights for the victors.
United sit a point and a place above their rivals in third in the table with competition for eventual league standigns at stake, and van Gaal is aware of the euphoria the derby creates in Manchester.
“I dream of it, every player shall dream of the victory. I am not so often in the city, but when I am, the people are talking about the derby,” said the United boss.
“I like it. You play football for the fans and I hope we can give our fans the victory. All the players understand the meaning of a victory and I know it also."
A victory for the blue half of Manchester at the weekend would set a new record of five straight derby victories for City, but van Gaal says he is not concerned by Manuel Pellegrini’s side’s recent dominance.
He said: “That's not my history. What can I say? We have lost 1-0. That is my history, the last game we played against them and we had a red card in the 39th minute, I believe.
“In such games always you have to control your aggression and we did not do that then so I hope we have learned from that moment.''
City have struggled of late and United go into the game as slight favourites after a run of five successive league victories, but van Gaal believes form is irrelevant in derby fixtures.
“'Manchester City has lost several games, but I don't think that shall be a big influence in the game because it is a special game,” said the 63-year-old.
The Dutch manager has confirmed that striker Robin Van Persie is not fit enough to return to the squad, whilst left back Luke Shaw is also definitely out.

No comments:

Post a Comment