Saturday 16 May 2015

Steven Gerrard ‘absolutely devastated’ to have played final Anfield game for Liverpool



There may not have been any tears, but it was clear the emotions were stirring as Steven Gerrard bid a final farewell to his beloved Anfield on Saturday.
In truth, he probably felt more like crying after losing 3-1 to Crystal Palace in his last appearance on the ground he has graced with such distinction for 17 years.
The Kop sang his name as he walked around the ground just once more after the final whistle and, with his three daughters, he soaked up every moment.
"It felt very strange. As I say I have been dreading this moment and the reason being because I will miss it so much," he said.
"I've loved every minute of it and I'm absolutely devastated I'll never play in front of these fantastic supporters again.
"First and foremost I'd like to thank everyone at the club who has helped me in the last 17 years.
"I'd like to thank all my team-mates today, all the ex-players who I have played with over the years - they have made me the player I am.
"I'll save my last thank you for these supporters - they stand out.
"Just before I go, before the tears come, I've played in front of most supporters around the world but let me tell you, you're the best."
Asked about his favourite Anfield moment, Gerrard said: "It is very difficult to pick one. The first time I ran out was the moment I will never forget. The first time you play for Liverpoolis a dream come true, everything else was a bonus for me.
"The club is in good hands. It has got a fantastic manager in Brendan [Rodgers], there's unbelievable potential in the squad and I'm sure that there will be some new signings in the coming weeks. I look at the players in front of me - I love them to death and wish them every luck."
On what was a disappointing parlance against a plucky Palace side, Gerrard added, speaking to Sky Sports 1: "We found it hard to get going. I played a holding role, they stifled us, towards the end we gambled and went for it, credit to Crystal Palace.
"I have been preparing for it all week. It's not going to be the same, hopefully I can enjoy my football for the next couple of years and hopefully come back one day.
"I will reflect for a few years and hopefully stay involved in the game, I love it."

No comments:

Post a Comment