Saturday 8 August 2015

Jose Mourinho refuses to discuss referee following ten-man Chelsea’s draw with Swansea


Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho seemed frustrated by referee Michael Oliver but continued his silence over officials following the Blues’ 2-2 draw with Swansea at Stamford Bridge.
The defending Premier League champions ended their season opener with ten men following goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois’ sending off, and also had a penalty appeal turned down in the first half.
Diego Costa sprinted through on goal before being brought down in the box by Federico Fernandez, and while the Spanish striker and his manager were left raging when Oliver pointed to the corner, replays showed the Swans defender timed his tackle to perfection.
Costa was also denied a free-kick after he was tripped in the second-half, and Mourinho appeared to laugh out loud on the Chelsea bench when play was waved on.
However, having been fined more than once last season for his criticism of referees, the Blues boss was curt when asked for his thoughts on the incidents.
"I do not want to speak about red cards," he said. “I don’t think I can be suspended for life.”
Asked whether that would be a policy this season, Mourinho retorted to laughter in the press conference: "No, it is just because the first time I can control myself.
"I want to react this way so you don't say he was [complaining] from day one. In day one we were punished, but it was not on day one that I opened my mouth."
Chelsea had to hold on for a point as Swansea dominated the second-half following Bafetimbi Gomis’s equaliser from the spot, but Mourinho hailed his side’s effort to still go for the win despite their man disadvantage.
"We tried," the Portuguese added. "I repeat this for a long, long, long time, even in my first period here, because my record at Stamford Bridge is something incredible.
"I never played for a draw. Never. So if today we lose, we lose.
"But at home a draw is only good in special circumstances, like last year, for example, when we were almost champions so a draw against Manchester United was a good result.
"Apart from that, we play at home to win and we tried that, so it is normal. The players know that. They know one point is one point.
"Playing with 10 men for such a long time is much more difficult and fundamentally I am happy with the quality they had in the first half and I am happy with their spirit in the second half, so we are in peace. We are not happy with the result."

No comments:

Post a Comment