Tuesday 3 March 2015

‘England return has never crossed my mind,’ insists Chelsea stalwart Terry


‘England return has never crossed my mind,’ insists Chelsea stalwart Terry



Former England captain John Terry has insisted he has no desire to return to international football, saying playing for the Three Lions again has ‘never crossed his mind.’
The 34-year-old lifted the League Cup on Sunday after scoring his first major final goal in a 2-0 triumph over London rivals Tottenham.
Terry retired from England duty in 2012 after being stripped of the captaincy amid allegations he racially abused then QPR defender Anton Ferdinand, brother of his long-time England central defensive partner Rio.
But he is still considered by many to be England's leading defender, which was highlighted with a man-of-the-match performance against Spurs.
The Blues skipper did admits he was moved by the national anthem at Wembley ahead of the final clash, but reiterated that he has no plans to make an England return.
"No. It's the simple answer,” said Terry when asked about a possible international comeback. “I don't want to go into it right now.
"Being back at Wembley, the atmosphere, the stadium, it's one of the best I have played in, but it's never crossed my mind.
"I have drawn a line under it and the England squad can move on now.
"I have missed it, playing in these big stadiums and in these competitions and I'm delighted to get back to Wembley.
"They started playing the national anthem before the game and I was going then."

No comments:

Post a Comment