Tuesday 2 June 2015

Sepp Blatter to RESIGN as FIFA president

Sepp Blatter to RESIGN as FIFA president
Depp Blatter has revealed he will step down as president of FIFA.
A host of high profile bosses within the game subsequently called for Blatter’s resignation, including FA chairman Greg Dyke and UEFA chief Michel Platini, who said he was disgusted by the scandal.
And, in an astonishing and unexpected turn of events, Blatter has indeed called time on his 17-year reign, just four days after his re-election.
Addressing a press conference gathered at the FIFA headquarters in Zurich, he called an extraordinary congress "as soon as possible", saying "a new president will be elected to follow me".
Blatter said: "I will organise an extraordinary congress for a replacement for me as president. I will not stand. I am now free from the constraints of an election.
"I will be in a position to focus on profound reforms. For many years we have called for reforms. But these are not sufficient.
"I have thoroughly considered and thought about my presidency and the last 40 years in my life. These years were closely related to FIFA and the wonderful sport of football.
"I appreciate and love FIFA more than anything else. I only want to do the best for FIFA and my institution.
"I felt compelled to stand for re-election, as I believed that this was the best thing for the organisation. That election is over but FIFA's challenges are not. FIFA needs a profound overhaul.”
More to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment