Monday 13 January 2014

Candidates and stars have their say

Candidates and stars have their say
© Getty Images
“Do I deserve to win it? Maybe I do, just like I did last year or two years ago. I think I deserve to win the Ballon d’Or every year.” Cristiano Ronaldo, who figures on the FIFA Ballon d’Or shortlist for the sixth time in the last seven years.
“It’s a pleasure to be among the three finalists and it makes me very proud. To my mind team awards are the ones that really count, but it’s always nice to be recognised. And if I don’t win the Ballon d’Or, then it won’t be the end of the world either.”
Leo Messi, who is aiming to win his fifth consecutive FIFA Ballon d’Or.

“I’m going to carry on being happy whether I win or not. I’m just pleased to be among the contenders with Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi.”
Franck Ribery, who is on the three-man shortlist for the very first time.

“All three deserve to win the Ballon d’Or, but I think it should go to Santa Claus.”
Zlatan Ibrahimovic expresses his inimitable view on who should win the award.

“He’s deserved to win it before and it would be very unfair if he doesn’t come away with it this time. No matter what happens, he’s still the best player in the world. I’m absolutely sure of that. ”
Portugal coach Paulo Bento gives his backing to his compatriot Cristiano.

“Franck should fly to Zurich with a big smile on his face and enjoy it. It’s not easy to get that far and he should enjoy the moment. All three are incredible players, and I’m just happy that it’s not up to me.”
Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola assesses Franck Ribery’s chances of winning.

“If you ask me, Cristiano Ronaldo is still the best. Messi might not like it and he might come up and tell me: ‘You never vote for me’. But I didn’t vote for him because I think Cristiano deserves it, especially this year.”
Former Portugal and current Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.

“I’m going for Messi because he deserves it, because of what he represents for us and because he’s a team-mate and friend of mine.”
Barcelona player Andres Iniesta.

“Whether he wins the Ballon d’Or or not, Messi is still the best player in the world. There’s no one else like him.”
Jordi Alba, Messi’s team-mate at Barça.

Franck Ribery has obviously had a fantastic season with Bayern, while Andres IniestaLionel Messi andCristiano Ronaldo have all stood out as well. That said, I think it’s Ribery’s turn this time, because he’s the one who won the lot with his club last season.” 
Former Germany, Juventus and Borussia Dortmund midfielder Andreas Moller.

“Personally I’d like to see Messi win the trophy, though I have to admit that Cristiano Ronaldo deserves it.”
Former Brazil star Rivaldo, who played for Barcelona.

“I’d give the Ballon d’Or to Leo Messi, and if he doesn’t get it then I hope it goes to Ribery. Cristiano Ronaldo? He comes after Messi and Franck.”
Xavi Hernandez reveals his one-two-three for the FIFA Ballon d’Or.

“I’m Portuguese and I hope Cristiano wins, for all he’s done in the last few seasons. He’s been absolutely amazing and he keeps on getting better. He’s a polite person and he’s still young. Whenever I’ve seen him and worked with him, he’s always struck me as someone who sets objectives for himself. He has a burning ambition to achieve them too. He deserves this award.” 
Current Maccabi Tel Aviv coach and ex-Portugal international Paulo Sousa.

“They’re the top two players in the world, but I’d give it to Messi for his skill.”
Former Brazil international Ronaldo on Cristiano, Messi and who should win the FIFA Ballon d’Or.

“I think Ribery has had a truly sensational year. He won everything with his club, scored some very important goals and played in all the big games. Frank is a great kid and he’s vital to Bayern and France. You mentioned Cristiano and Messi. Leo’s stats in helping Barça win the league were amazing, while Cristiano didn’t win anything. He ran a lot, fought as hard as anyone, but he didn’t win a single trophy. The logical thing would be for Ribery to get the nod.” 
Former Germany international Paul Breitner gives his views on who should win the award.

“I think Cristiano Ronaldo is going to win the Ballon d’Or because of the way he’s playing. Ribery is playing really well too, but Cristiano is in fantastic form and he deserves it.” 
Jefferson Farfan of Peru and Schalke 04.

No comments:

Post a Comment