Tuesday 14 January 2014

Neid: It's an incredible honour

Neid: It's an incredible honour
© Getty Images
For Germany national team coach Silvia Neid, being named FIFA World Coach of the Year for Women’s Football for the second time is the crowning achievement of a successful 2013 in which her team won the UEFA European Women’s Championship in Sweden. VfL Wolfsburg coach Ralf Kellermann and Swedish national team coach Pia Sundhage were also named in the final list of three.

After receiving the award in Zurich, Silvia Neid spoke exclusively to FIFA.com about how it felt to be recognised on the world stage.

FIFA.com: You have just been named FIFA World Coach of the Year for Women’s Football for the second time. How are you feeling right now?
Silvia Neid: It’s an incredible honour, and I really never thought it could happen. But nobody can ever succeed alone. So many people have contributed to this award, so it belongs to them, too. Our support team all have to play their parts, the players have to be confident in you and your employer has to get behind you, especially when you attract as much criticism as I did in the summer. At times like that, you need people who rally around you and place their trust in you so that you can achieve something amazing together, and I’m very, very grateful for that.

How important is it for you to win this trophy this year?
You know it was a good year when you receive an accolade like this. It was a successful year, a good one, and a very important one for women’s football in Germany.

What do you think about your captain Nadine Angerer being named FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year 2013?
In my view, she completely deserves it. As a goalkeeper, it’s very special to save two penalties in one final and be nominated for this award alongside outfield players. I know I might be slightly biased, but for me she has simply been the best player in the world this year.

Is there anyone you would like to thank?
Of course, I’d like to thank absolutely all the backroom and support staff – everyone from the doctor to the kit manager – and naturally my team deserve a big thank-you too. I’m very lucky to be able to work with such talented players. I’d also like to thank my employers, without whom I wouldn’t be here. This is an award for German football too; we have a solid structure and a strong league where players are pushed and encouraged. We have coaches who push their players to improve at club level day after day. I’m extremely grateful for such positive collaboration

No comments:

Post a Comment