Tuesday 14 January 2014

Ibrahimovic: This award warms my heart

Ibrahimovic: This award warms my heart
© AFP
Zlatan Ibrahimovic was over the moon after picking up the FIFA Puskás Award for the best goal of 2013. The striker's stunning overhead kick from outside the area in his country's friendly against England garnered 48.7% of the votes, edging out Nemanja Matic and Neymar, whose strikes collected 30.8% and 20.5% respectively.
Speaking exclusively to FIFA.com after the Ballon d'Or Ceremony, the Paris Saint-Germain marksman expressed his joy at getting his hands on an accolade previously won by the likes of Neymar and Cristiano Ronaldo.
FIFA.com: How does it feel to have won the FIFA Puskás Award?
Zlatan Ibrahimovic: I'm delighted. It is a huge honour for me just to be here, so to go home with two trophies feels even better. As for the goal, normally it's not so important who scores, but this time it happened to be me and I think it has become a symbol of sorts because of how it came about. That thought makes me really happy. This is a day I will remember for the rest of my life.

How much does it mean to know that it was the fans who voted you the winner?
I want to thank everyone who voted for me. When you win a trophy like this one, one that is voted for by the fans, it's extra special, because they are the ones who live and breathe football. The fact that they chose my goal is incredible: it touches me deep down in my heart.

Do you think another goal like yours will ever be scored again?
I hope not! [Laughing] Honestly I think it will be a big ask and I'm glad I scored it.

No comments:

Post a Comment