Saturday 14 February 2015

Diego Costa: 'Chelsea have to fight and battle for the title'


Chelsea's Diego Costa speaks to Sport magazine



This article appears in the current edition of our sister publication, Sport magazine. Download the free Sport iPad app from the Apple Newsstand, and follow on Twitter @Sportmaguk
Diego Costa confounds our expectations. Waiting for him to arrive for our interview, we are half expecting a giant crane to rumble into view and lower down a Jurassic Park-style crate with Costa inside, snarling and growling.
Then we can roll up our questions on tiny pieces of paper and poke them through the slats to be consumed by The Beast within.
You see, Costa is a lot like a dinosaur. He’s fearsome, strong and – crucially – really, really, old. He’s the world’s most ancient 26-year-old man! He’s a velociraptor with the wizened face of an aged crone. 
So it’s a surprise when the Chelsea striker arrives with an infectious grin, a firm handshake and a warm demeanour – then proceeds to give us one of the more honest interviews you can expect from a Premier League superstar.
Speaking in Spanish, shot through with occasional Portuguese slang (a heritage of his being Brazilian-born but a naturalised Spanish international), Costa is thoughtful in his replies. He doesn’t even look old, disappointingly. A rough and ready type, sure, but his thick mop of dark curls gives him a youthful air. Who is this innocent, young, latin Oliver Twist – and why is he so misunderstood?
Not quite. Costa plays on the edge, as he admits. Yet it strikes us as a contradiction. If you’re Eric Cantona or Zinedine Zidane fly-kicking fans or head-butting defenders, you’re an enfant terrible – a tortured French genius. If you’re Alan Shearer physically battling with defenders (or accidentally mistaking Neil Lennon’s head for a football), you’re a hard-man centre forward in the old English tradition. Yet if you’re a rugged-looking Hispanic sort, you’re a thug and a brutish villain.
Costa is no angel, but he hasn’t nutted or bitten anyone. He hasn’t broken any heads or legs or roamed the plains of the Cretaceous era world, snacking on herbivores. So, as Sport unrolls its tiny scrolls of questions, we get to know the man – not the monster.


What’s Jose Mourinho’s style like compared with other managers you’ve played for?
“Jose Mourinho and [Atletico Madrid manager] ‘Cholo’ Simeone have plenty of things in common, such as the passion for the game or the levels of commitment they demand from players. They ask the player to give everything he has inside. However, when it comes to tactics, Mourinho and Simeone have a different vision of the game.”
Given that, what have you learned from having Jose as a boss at Chelsea?
“Many things. We all know that he’s among the best managers in the world. When you arrive in a team with a manager like him, you try to spot every single thing you can learn from him. Every manager has a different way of reading the game. In regards to Jose Mourinho, he is a clever manager who spots very well the opponent’s virtues and weaknesses. Our training sessions are based on that.”You are named after Diego Maradona. Is this not a bit unusual in Brazil?
“I know my father called my brother Jair as a tribute to Jairzinho. When I asked him about the origin of my name, he said that when I was born, Diego Armando Maradona was the big thing. I guess my father just loves football!”


What’s the biggest challenge that you have had to overcome in your football career?
“My biggest challenge was leaving home in Lagarto [in Brazil]. I left my parents in tears as I crossed the doorstep on my own.”
You were a teenager when that happened [Costa signed for Portuguese club Braga in 2006]. How did you find it adjusting to a new life in Europe at that age? 
“As you can imagine, it was hard. I was very bonded to the small village I am from. In my village, we all are very close to our families and it’s unusual to end up living in a different way to your relatives. However, I love them more than anything else. I always knew that I wanted to change my family’s life.”
Did that feeling put extra pressure on your shoulders?
“No – in fact, my determination suppressed any feeling of loneliness. Determination gave me the strength I needed. If it weren’t for my parents, I wouldn’t be where I am right now. If you want to achieve something, you must have a goal in life. In my case, being a football player was a dream; my real obsession was to give my family a better life, no matter what.”
How did it feel to break the Barcelona/Real Madrid stranglehold and win La Liga with Atletico Madrid?
“We did it little by little, game by game… Obviously, you might get nervous as tension and expectations amalgamate. However, everyone knows his role on the pitch, and on top of that there’s a common target, which is winning each game. Pressure, past or memories disappear as soon as the ball rolls.”
On the flip side: how hard was it not being fully fit for last season’s Champions League final?
“I think that it was harder for Simeone. He is aiming to trigger a change in Spanish football. It was a shame not to win the title after the great job we all did throughout the entire season. Personally, I felt well and fit the day before the Champions League final. It was a shame to lose the final the way we did. The goal we conceded in the last minute tore apart our great work.”
Does that make you even more determined to have an impact on the competition this season with Chelsea?
“I am going to be honest: I want to be a champion with Chelsea, either a Premier League champion or a Champions League winner. I presume that winning the Champions League must be an amazing experience. I reached the final of this beautiful tournament once, but I couldn’t win it. We know that our manager is a multiple Champions League winner with loads of experience, and that will help. I also hope we are a bit lucky. There are great teams yet to be faced.”
image: http://talksport.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/460838766.jpg?itok=bsmvQhb0


You’ve had a superb start to your Chelsea career: 17 goals in just 19 league games. What do you put this down to?
“Hard work. Also, Jose Mourinho is a very clever man. He knows exactly the kind of team he wants to build and the way he wants to play. The likes of Cesc Fabregas and Oscar have eased my adaptation [off the pitch] as well as helping me score, too.”
Have your Chelsea teammates taught you any interesting phrases in English?
“I try to learn words here and there, but I find it very complicated. I am a bit lazy for that! Let’s do the things step by step: I will adapt to London and win a title first. Meanwhile, I will try to grab the language.”
You must have a way of communicating on the pitch...
“I call John Terry ‘Capi’ [Spanish slang for skipper]. I think my teammates understand me better than I understand them! Our communication is getting better as time goes by.”
Have you had to adjust the way you play at all to suit the Premier League?
“Yes, I am getting used to getting kicked more than before. Premier League defenders are really strong and physical. In England, the referees don’t call many fouls, as opposed to Spanish football. Consequently, you must be really strong all through the 90 minutes.”
What is the quality that has taken you most to where you are now in your career?
“My fighting spirit and my resilience. I approach every game with the same energy. I always think: ‘I must score next game, I must score next game.’ That’s the way I go into the games.”
Do you like drawing a defender into a one-on-one contest on the pitch?
“I like the challenge. My life wasn’t easy, neither are my games. Every time I see a good defender I cannot wait to play against him. He might beat me, but I will learn from the experience.”
Do you think you still have the mentality of a ‘street’ footballer, rather than an academy-trained one?
“It depends on the point of view. Some of the kicks I suffer in England would be punished with a red card in Spain. My challenges on the ball are strong but noble at the same time. If you check my records, you will find out that I’ve never caused a bad injury to any player.
"The bottom line is that sometimes the little things I do on the pitch provoke exaggerated reactions. But if you rewind a bit and go through what they did to me, you may have another point of view. I consider myself a player who fights and gives everything on the pitch. Those who know me and appreciate those values understand what I say.”
How much did it mean to you to hear the Chelsea fans sing your name during the recent Manchester City match, even though you weren’t involved?
“The fans sang my name because I know I was a bit down after receiving the ban, but I have a lot of gratitude to the Chelsea crowd. No one will stop my determination and my way of approaching the games. I am really grateful to the Chelsea fans. They have been very good to me.”
image: http://talksport.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/462581844.jpg?itok=rWBznIIy


Your next game could well be Paris St-Germain in the Champions League knockout stages. Is Zlatan Ibrahimovic a player that you admire?
“Zlatan is a beast. He is one of those players that I like because of his character and his quality. He is among the best strikers in football history. We all know how hard it is going to be playing against PSG. Most of their footballers play at international level… If we want to progress, we must do very well in both legs.”
Lastly, what constitutes a successful season for Chelsea this year?
“Winning titles. That’s exactly what a good season means for a club with this grandeur, players and trophy-winning manager. But we must keep on improving, which is what the manager demands for each game. If we put our game into practice, we are going to fight for every title. We must be ourselves. We have to fight and battle. The most difficult game is the next one to come.”

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/diego-costa-chelsea-have-fight-and-battle-title-150212136185#ttAVDh5jfi3jTZR6.99

No comments:

Post a Comment