Sunday 8 February 2015

Mourinho: Chelsea lead at the top means nothing to the title race


Chelsea’s lead at the top means nothing, claims Mourinho

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has claimed his side’s seven point lead over Manchester City at the top of the Premier League counts for nothing.
The Blues clinched a scrappy 2-1 win against Aston Villa on Saturday, while Manuel Pellegrini’s side dropped two points at home to Hull City.
But Mourinho insisted there are still too many points to play for throughout the rest of the season, adding he was not surprised to hear about the Citizens defeat against the relegation-threatened Tigers.
“In another country I would say it's fantastic, in this country I would say it's nothing,” said Mourinho “Every game is difficult, anything can happen. It's very, very difficult.
“Seven points means seven points, we have 14 matches to go. We are speaking about 42 points to play for and in 42 we have a lead of seven. I think it's nothing.”
He added: "I'm surprised by nothing. In this country every team can take points so I am not surprised. I didn't care about it. Somebody told me after the game and that was it. Before the game I was not worried and during the game and I didn't imagine the result.
"When you are top of the league you don't need other teams to lose points. If they lose, good, but if they don't it's not a problem. We have to focus on ourselves. If we win the next game we have a seven-point lead with 13 matches to go. Let's try to go step by step."

No comments:

Post a Comment