Monday 16 December 2013

Murray wins Sports Personality of the Year award



Murray's run to become the first British man to win at Wimbledon since Fred Perry in 1936 was enough to see him secure the 2013 award ahead of Leigh Halfpenny in the public vote, with jockey AP McCoy in third.
The award brings to an end a success-laden year for Murray - a year in which Prime Minister David Cameron backed Murray to earn a knighthood after his 6-4 7-5 6-4 win over Novak Djokovic at SW19 in July.
"I've got a few people to thank - my family first. A lot are there in the crowd. They've supported me since I was a kid, making a lot of sacrifices for me. I couldn't have done it without you," Murray said.
The ceremony, this year celebrating its 60th year, saw a host of other awards handed out.
Anne Williams, who fought for justice for her 15-year old son, Kevin, who died at the Hillsborough disaster in 1989, was posthumously awarded the Helen Rollason Award for outstanding achievement in the face of adversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment