Saturday 13 June 2015

Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere dismisses Manchester City transfer speculation


Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere dismisses Manchester City transfer speculation
Jack Wilshere says he will remain at Arsenal for as long as he is wanted, as the England midfielder quashed speculation linking him with a move to Manchester City.
Deposed Premier League champions City are looking to boost their homegrown quota and have been tipped to launch a big-money move for Wilshere this summer.
But the 23-year-old insists there is no desire on his part to make a deal happen.
"I definitely wouldn't go somewhere just because I'm a home-grown player. I'd want to be wanted by a club, I want to be wanted by Arsenal," he said.
ADVERTISING
"I've grown up at Arsenal. As long as Arsenal want me, I'm happy."
As Wilshere sat down at the England team hotel this week ahead of Sunday's trip to Slovenia, he reflected on another rollercoaster year.
"It's been a frustrating season. There have probably been more lows than highs," he said.
Winning the FA Cup was a highlight, as was his form in the autumn, when he starred for Arsenal and England.
But once again injury has hindered the 23-year-old's season.
Just after he had starred in England's 3-1 win in Scotland last November, Manchester United's Paddy McNair slid in on Wilshere's standing foot and wiped the midfielder out.
Writhing in pain on the turf at the Emirates Stadium, Wilshere knew he was facing another long lay-off. It would be six months before he played again.
"I was just starting to play well, I was feeling good about myself," he said.
When asked if McNair had apologised for the challenge, the midfielder bluntly answered: "No."
Wilshere has been a regular in the treatment room at Arsenal's London Colney base ever since he made his debut seven years ago.
Controversy has also dogged him throughout his career.
"I'm not sure why it's always me," Wilshere said with a smile.
There have been many regrets. So many, in fact, that he had to pause for almost 40 seconds before deciding which one was his biggest.
"I'll answer it but, I need to think." he said, flicking through the index of errors in his mind.
"Being caught smoking," he continues after the pause.
"That's because - I've said it before and some people don't believe me - but I'm not a smoker."
The incident Wilshere was referring to is the time he was pictured holding a shisha pipe while on a night out in February.
It came a year after he was pictured smoking in a pool while on holiday in Las Vegas.
"It was a mistake I made. I definitely regret it," Wilshere said. "I made the same mistake twice. I have to be sensible this summer."

No comments:

Post a Comment